Thursday, May 22, 2008

Growin' up...


So, I'm sitting at work, busy as always, and my phone rings. I see that it's Autumn... I also see that it is 1:30pm, which is not one of our usual times for talking on the phone as this is usually when Autumn tries fruitlessly to get the kids to nap. I know this call has got to be something big as it is breaking our routine -- I brace myself for the worst. Autumn immediately puts Gracie on the phone and coaches her to tell me that she has pooped on the potty all by herself for the first time. I breathed a sigh of relief, but then quickly realize that I am expected to be wildly excited and throw a big fit.

The problem, however, is that I don't have my own office, and that there are lots of my co-workers in nearby cubicles that probably don't want to hear me yell something like "Way to poop!" or "Good poop'n! I'm so proud of you!". So, I discretely give my praises while trying to scurry to a nearby vacant conference room where I can really let loose with my enthusiasm. By the time I get there the moment is passed. Oh well, I sort of made up for it by sneaking a balloon home from some random celebration at work as a reward for the big accomplishment. She loves her balloons. Good job Gracie!

3 comments:

Jazzy said...

Oh man! Story of my life! I now understand why so many people wait until later in life to have children. They need to be accomplished enough to have their own office so that they can give poop praise without looking crazy in front of their peers.

Phil Shorten said...

PS - that last one was me too, didn't realize Jasmine was still signed in.

Meli said...

thats awesome!way to go gracie!